11 images Created 21 Oct 2008
The Jewish getto at the small fortress of Terezin, located fourthy miles north of Prague, Czech Republic on May 8, 2003. The town was originally built in 1780 by Emperor Joseph II of Austria and named after his mother, Empress Maria Theresa and consisted of the Big Fortress and the Small Fortress. Terezin changed dramatically when the Nazis renamed it Theresienstadt and sent the first Jewish transports there in November 1941. The Nazis chose the 18th century fortress at Terezin to be a "model ghetto," The largest and most serious problem they faced was metamorphosing a town which in 1940 held approximately 7,000 residents into a concentration camp which needed to hold about 35,000 to 60,000. Some 33,000 Jews died here under the Nazis; another 88,000 were deported to extermination camps and murdered.